Juicy Roasted Chicken
My grandmother's recipe for roasted chicken. We are German and she used to do it this way all the time. I never have had a chicken this juicy before; this little trick works and makes the people eating it go silent. It's funny. We nibble on the celery after.
- Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Ingredient Checklist
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, giblets removed
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon onion powder, or to taste
- ½ cup margarine, divided
- 1 stalk celery, leaves removed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place chicken in a roasting pan, and season generously inside and out with salt and pepper. Sprinkle inside and out with onion powder. Place 3 tablespoons margarine in the chicken cavity. Arrange dollops of the remaining margarine around the chicken's exterior. Cut the celery into 3 or 4 pieces, and place in the chicken cavity.
- Bake uncovered 1 hour and 15 minutes in the preheated oven, to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (82 degrees C). Remove from heat, and baste with melted margarine and drippings. Cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest about 30 minutes before serving.
Read our picks for the best kitchen tools to make cooking your favorite recipes that much easier.
Per Serving: 423 calories; protein 30.9g; carbohydrates 1.2g; fat 32.1g; cholesterol 97mg; sodium 661.9mg.